Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Shaniwar Wada

I've been busy this month so far! I started by going to a friend's family party, where I was again told that it's not safe to take an autorickshaw home late at night. Sometimes I wonder whether all these cautions are to keep me safe, or to keep me from being too free. I also realized that I have learned a lot during my two months here, and should probably write two or three papers. It's not so easy to go sit in the library to write for 8 hours like I do at home though! My finances were sorted out after about two months of work to get a bank account here. Finally, I was introduced to the Royal Enfield.

This week I visited Shaniwar Wada, the major landmark of Pune, with a university friend Kranti. This was a palace built by the Peshwars, the rulers of the capital of the Maratha Empire, in the eighteenth century. Hundreds of people lived in the palace and city within the walls. Unfortunately it all burned down. Now only the foundations of the walls and some fountains remain. There are a few signs around the grounds which give information on who lived in the rooms, and where the altar was kept, but it would be really nice to have a tour from a historian. I kept wondering where they cooked, where they kept their bathrooms, and where they threw their garbage.

Sadly, it was overcast when I visited so the light was not very good for photos. I'll have to visit another time. Right now it is winter in India, which means that it is very dry, and the hills and fields around my flat have turned brown. Apparently it also gets "cold" but I think that means something different than it does in Canada! But in Pune, it has rained the past two days! I think my circadian rhythms apply to seasons as well.

1 comment:

  1. You are right, there is a fine line between safe and restraining too much freedom. I love how you always get at the root of the problem Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete