Monday, September 14, 2009

The neighbourhood in Aundh

This week I've been settling into a routine. I attend a lecture on Ambedkar 4 days a week at the university, and I went to campus almost every other day to study and to fill out the endless amounts of paperwork that seem to be the norm here. Both my flatmates are home mornings, so we usually drink chai and read the newspaper together before lunch. I'm learning how to cook Indian dishes, but mostly learning how to cook without a recipe. Under Richa's supervision I made chapattis which are very close to being round for a first-time attempt!


I'm also getting used to the lifestyle. There is an endless number of small shops in the neighbourhood, and I'm slowly buying the necessities above my travel kit, as well as clothing. We have a maid who sweeps and does the dishes every day, which is wonderful (dishes are not my favourite chore...) but it's taking some time to get used to the washroom, with the "Indian style" toilet and the tiny hot water heater for the shower. The sunsets from the window are beautiful. (Nothing like air pollution to create a beautiful sunset...)

The view from the flat is amazing; we look out over a field; the other day a man was plowing with a team of oxen. Pune is in the foothills, but this is as clear as the view has been so far. I can see a temple on a hill from my window. Eventually I plan to visit it, but so far my attempt to walk to it resulted in me getting soaked in the rain and being blocked by construction and a stream (river?). Mud.
My flatmates decided to go to McDonald's this weekend, and I thought it was so hilarious that I took some photos. Here I am sitting with my flatmate Richa. The McDonald's food here is hardly healthier, but at least you can get vegetarian options... such as the veg burger (vegetables in a batter crust on a bun) and the pizza pocket (vegetables in pizza sauce in a pastry pocket. We also had coke floats!

I love reading your comments. Keep in touch!

7 comments:

  1. the chapattis kinda look like my grandma's homemade tortillas!!! i have a hard time getting those round also...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what do they serve as hamburgers if they don't eat beef?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous skies!

    Dare I ask about the Indian-style toilet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing it's probably similiar to what Darlene experienced in China.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most burger options are chicken or fish filet, so same McDonald's menu as in Canada, without the red meat. I've also seen restaurants serve mutton. So far I've only heard about beef or pork options (large Muslim population, too) on menus.

    I'm working up to the Indian-style toilet. I want to introduce people to the idea gently... (as I get used to the idea...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - what courses are you taking at the university? Love the views and I cant wait to hear about the toilet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, I want to come and drink chai and read the paper with you! So exciting! And I definitely want a taste of your cookery when you get back!

    ReplyDelete